Stanborough Park Water Play Area
Collaborating with specialist contractors and the local community, the project created a new outdoor water park for children, with new public facilities, and a traditional play area.
Client: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
Scope of works:
- Redevelopment of old Lido into a new children’s water play area
- Removal of old play equipment
- Management of specified sub-contractors to complete the
- play equipment (Kompan) and the Water Play area (Ustigate)
- Play equipment package: £300K (wetpour surfacing
- additional to this) Waterplay package: £400K
- Remediation of Contaminated Ground
- Cut and fill and construction of water storage facility to
- achieve specific flood plain criteria
- Construction of new compound for Ustigate water
- management elements
- Hard and soft landscaping including safety surfaces
Challenges / overview:
Due to the programme,
significant earthworks were undertaken during the very wet winter of 2019/2020. To manage these programme pressures, we brought forward works less affected by the wet conditions and considered the use of Lime to bind the subsoil. Ultimately we did not employ this solution because the weather dried up sufficiently to remove the need.
These works were part way to completion when Covid-19 brought the
nation to a halt. Due to the size and location of the site, and the fortunate position that several of our staff shared a house, with the
permission of our client we were able to bring accommodation to site and our staff continued working throughout the Covid-19 stoppages.
We anticipated the shutdown and brought in materials ahead of time, again taking advantage of the space afforded on site, to ensure that
were able to continue. This significant and politically sensitive project was completed on schedule despite the Covid-19 pandemic.
The ground investigation report indicated that when the Lido had been previously filled in, some of the material used for this contained Asbestos. A fully remediation strategy was put in place by the client and we developed our methodology from this to deliver a clean and safe play area with the remediation carried out in a fully compliant manner. During the works additional Hydrocarbons were identified in the soil and these were also managed in the same careful and compliant manner.
Sharing new play facilities with the community, right in time for half term
The winners for Pro Landscaper’s 30 Under 30: The Next Generation have been revealed
Our tips for avoiding slips, trips, and falls at facilities this winter