The latest updates from Ground Control.

The latest updates from Ground Control.

Advice, support & enquiries 0800 334 5606
Latest news

Giant Hogweed: The facts and how to spot it

Giant Hogweed: The facts and how to spot it

Giant HogweedWith the recent Giant Hogweed incidents in the press, make sure you know how to spot it to keep yourselves and your children safe.

Heracleum Mantegazzianum, otherwise known as Giant Hogweed, is an invasive and potentially harmful plant that can cause severe blisters and burns to the skin.

What is it?

For a toxic plant, giant hogweed is surprisingly attractive, reaching heights of 11ft tall with thick leaves stretching five feet wide and large clusters of white flowers. Hogweed can be found anywhere in the countryside, but is often seen growing at  the side of rivers and waterways.

The chemicals in the plants sap are harmful and can cause photosensitvity or photodermatitis upon contact, where the skin becomes very sensitive to the sun. The light-sensitive skin reaction causes painful blisters that form within 48 hours, and can result in scars that can last anywhere from a few months to six years. The plant can also cause blindness if the sap gets in contact with the eye.

What to do if you touch it

If you touch Giant Hogweed, cover the affected area, wash it with soap and cold water immediately, and consult your doctor if a reaction occurs. Skin that has come into contact with the hogweed should then remain covered to avoid sunburn.

For more information on our notifiable weed control and treatments, contact Ground Control today.


This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience... moregot it