Burgess Park is double BALI Award Winner
Ground Control’s Landscape Construction team is delighted to announce that we have won two BALI awards for our project at Burgess Park BMX Track! This exceptional scheme has gained recognition for categories of “Community and Schools Development” and “Restoration and Regeneration Scheme.”
Forming part of the £26 million master-plan for Burgess Park, the dilapidated adventure playground and kart track site was identified as the location for the creation of a new national standard BMX track with associated hard and soft landscaping. The site had been disused for many years and was blighted with anti-social behaviour in one of London’s most deprived areas.
Ground Control was appointed as the Principal Contractor by Southwark Council, who provided significant investment for the construction of this spectacular BMX track. The project also received funding from British Cycling, the Mayor of London’s office, the London Marathon Charitable Trust, Southwark Council’s Cleaner Green Safer programme, S106 funding and the Olympic Legacy Fund.
Senior Construction Manager, Andy Harris, managed the project and was delighted at BALI recognition;
“We are delighted to have won the BALI Awards for the Burgess Park BMX Track. It is the perfect conclusion to what was a challenging and complex project. This award is testament to the hard work and dedication of all those involved.”
The scope of works that this project included:
- The removal of redundant hard/soft areas, play structures, footpaths, drainage, street lighting and railings
- The testing, processing, remediation, placement and remodelling of 4300m3 of earth to create new levels and landforms to form the new BMX Track
- The supply and installation of bespoke, modular container units
- The supply and installation of macadam footpaths, access road, holding and event areas
- The supply of new metal railings/fencing and reconfiguration of existing railings
The latest awards brings Ground Control’s BALI Awards tally to an incredible 14 since our first in 1985.