Alder Hey Children’s Hospital
Ground Control was appointed by Laing O’Rourke to implement this major hard and soft landscaping project.
The landscaping design by BDP Partnership had a vital therapeutic role for this nationally acclaimed children’s hospital.
The Landscaping brief included a range of green roofing, courtyard and terrace gardens, a bereavement garden, in addition to northern and southern gardens with ampitheatre and a children’s plaza with interactive games.
Hard landscaping elements included:
- Install timber planters and fill with 350m3 topsoi
- 2500m2 of coloured tarmac paths
- 1000m of Tegula kerbs
- Cable ducts and bases for street light and illuminated bollards
- 220m2 of hardwood timber decking
- Playground equipment and rubber safety surfacing
- Cobble surfacing and planters in 2nd storey courtyard
- Steel estate railings and gates
- Lay 1200m2 of bespoke coloured paving in footpaths
Soft landscaping elements included:
- Import & spread 5000m3 of topsoil
- Supply & plant 45000 specimen shrubs, including grasses and herbaceous plants covering over 200 varieties
- Supply & plant 150 semi mature trees
- Supply & place 340m3 of fibre reinforced soil and 2500m2 of turf to create access roads for emergency vehicles
- 1 hectare of wildflower and amenity grass seeding
Throughout the duration of the project, our teams were faced with a range of challenges. These included; meticulous planning of craneage to lift materials into inaccessible areas such as the sunken garden and upper level car park.
Planting out of season was a challenge, resulting in huge demands for watering. This was further hampered by a lack of watering points and water usage restrictions imposed during prolonged dry weather.//do_shortcode('[cs_by_sector_terms]'); ?>
We don’t just offer superior service to our customers – we prove it! How much time and money is exhausted managing and monitoring your maintenance contractor?
TotalView provides property and maintenance managers with unprecedented operational visibility.
July 6, 2018
Ground Control supported Arqiva by emergency …
July 4, 2018
This month, we were back at London’s ExCeL for the Facilities Show, the UK’s largest FM event. Each year the …